Gavel with wedding rings and stack of money.

Florida’s Current Stance on Alimony

Spousal support payments, or alimony, are a type of financial assistance that one spouse may provide to the other following a divorce. In Florida, there are different types of alimony that can be awarded, depending on the unique circumstances of each case. If you are considering getting divorced and need to know more about alimony in Florida, or if you need to modify your spousal support payments, keep reading.

What Are the Types of Alimony in Florida?

What some individuals may not know is that there are different types of alimony in Florida. The type of alimony rewarded is dependent on the unique circumstances of the divorce.

Bridge-the-Gap Alimony

This type of alimony is designed to help a spouse transition from being married to being single. Bridge-the-gap alimony can be awarded for a maximum of two years and cannot be modified.

Temporary Alimony

As the name suggests, this type of alimony is only temporary and is usually only ordered until the divorce is finalized. Once the divorce is final, temporary alimony payments will stop.

Rehabilitative Alimony

This type of alimony is typically awarded to a spouse that needs time and financial assistance to gain the education or training necessary to reenter the workforce. The payments will continue until the spouse is able to become self-sufficient, at which point they will stop.

Permanent Alimony

Permanent alimony is just what it sounds like – it is paid indefinitely and usually only ordered in long-term marriages. The amount of permanent alimony that is paid can be modified, but the payments themselves will not stop unless either spouse dies or the recipient remarries.

How Can I Modify Alimony Payments?

When modifying spousal support payments, there are certain steps that you must take. First, you will need to file a petition with the court to request a modification of your alimony payments. In the petition, you will have to state the reason why you are requesting a modification and provide supporting evidence.

This means that you will need to demonstrate that there has been a substantial change in circumstances. A substantial change in circumstances can be something like a job loss, a promotion, or an illness. If you have gone through events such as this, you may be able to modify your alimony payments.

Once your petition is filed, a hearing will be scheduled so that both sides can present their case. If the court deems that a modification is necessary, they will issue an order specifying the new terms of your alimony payments.

What Happens If I Miss Alimony Payments?

Missing an alimony payment can have serious consequences. In some instances, you could potentially be held in contempt of court. This means that you can be fined and/or jailed for disobeying a court order. If you are having trouble making your alimony payments, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options. Your circumstances could warrant a modification in your alimony payments.

Having An Attorney Is Key

Alimony has the potential to be a complex and challenging process to navigate, particularly if you are tackling the issue alone. It is best to consult an experienced attorney when trying to determine fair and sensible spousal support payments. The Law Office Of Yeazell And Sweet understands the importance of reaching a fair agreement concerning alimony, and will take into account all of the details of your case. Furthermore, our team can assist you with any necessary modifications, especially if you are having difficulty making payments.

To schedule a consultation, call our office at (813) 285-5705 or visit us online.